We love organic cotton for a number of reasons. It has a 46% reduced global warming potential, reduces pollution of waterways by 26%, reduces energy by 62% and is key in the face of a rapidly changing climate (just to name a few).
Since the beginning of this year, we've decided to switch our best-selling denim styles to organic cotton, meaning you can feel good, too. Scroll down to get the low-down.
WHY WE LOVE ORGANIC COTTON:
- Growing organic cotton has been shown to have a 46% reduced global warming potential compared to conventionally grown cotton
- Zero pesticides are used for Organic Cotton and 16% of all insecticides in the world are used for conventional cotton. If all farming was organic research suggests that pesticide use would drop by 98%.
- The estimated water saving for 1 organic cotton tee is 7500 litres or up to 91% less than conventionally grown cotton. Cotton uses 3% of the world’s fresh water and 2.5% of all cultivated land is used to grow cotton using up to 20,000 litres for 1 tee and 1 pair of jeans.
- Cotton is grown in some of the most water-scarce countries on earth. Toxic hazardous pesticides damage ecosystems, poison waterways, and endanger workers who can’t always afford the safety equipment needed to protect them. If all farming was organic we are helping the reversal of climate change.
- One of the top ten risks to society over the next 10 years is climate change. Organic farming techniques protect the soil, making it more like a sponge which also means organic crops are more resilient in the face of floods and droughts. Organic Cotton production is key in the face of a rapidly changing climate.
- Organic Cotton reduces pollution of waterways by 26%.
- Organic Cotton reduces energy use by 62%.
- Organic Cotton reduces greenhouse gas emissions by 46%.